International Strategic Partnerships
The « Initiative d’excellence » (IDEX in short) Université Grenoble Alpes launches a call for projects to foster its international strategic partnerships. More specifically, this call targets the following objectives:
- Development of strategic projects with universities identified as strategic partners, see list below, and with a lower priority, with target priority countries/universities, see list below.
- Development of the collaboration with the local international research facilities, see list below.
- Development of the collaboration with international laboratories (UMI, LIA, ...),
- Support of the internationalization of humanities and social sciences.
- Preparation of proposals in response to European calls.
Projects should have a duration of a maximum of 4 years. The funding, however, will be for 3 years to cover the whole period of a PhD thesis in France. Funding consist of doctoral fellowships where half of the funding will be provided by the IDEX under the condition of co-funding by the international partners.
Although this call is for PhD co-funding, few successful projects will be allowed to have twin Post-doc co-funding projects if preferred by the partners.
For selected projects, the PhD candidate will have to share his time (preferably 50%) between Grenoble and the foreign institution.
Key categories of partners
- University of Swansea (UK),
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology - KIT (Germany),
- Universitat de Barcelona (UB) and Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) (Barcelona, Spain),
- University of Tsukuba (Japan),
- Université de Genève (Switzerland),
- Brazil: Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS) ; Portal da Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Taiwan : National Taiwan University (NTU), Cheng Chi University @Tapei,
Other target Countries/Universities
- North America:
- Asia :
- South America:
- Argentina: Universidad de Buenos Aires
- Brazil: Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Mexico: Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León (UANL); Universidad de Guadalajara; Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
- French speaking countries
- Lebanon: Conseil National de la Recherche scientifique (CNRS-L)
- Morocco: University Mohammed V ; International University of Rabat
- Senegal: Université Cheikh-Anta-Diop de Dakar (UCAD); Université Gaston Berger - Saint-Louis du Sénégal
International research facilities
- ESRF - European Synchrotron Radiation Facility,
- ILL - Institut Laue-Langevin,
- ESRF - European Molecular Biology Laboratory,
- IRAM - Institut de Radioastronomie Millimétrique,
- GHMFL - Grenoble High Magnetic Field Laboratory,
- CERN - Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire.
EvaluationThe criteria of the selection committee to evaluate the proposals are:
- Ambition and scientific quality of the project,
- Effectiveness of the collaboration scheme,
- Current status of the international collaboration and its strengthening,
- Relevance of the consortium composition to the IDEX strategy.
- Projects must be presented by a research team from a laboratory belonging to a research department (CBS, MSTIC, PAGE, PEM, PSS, SHS) or CEA-tech, in collaboration with an international partner listed in the call for proposals.
- Co-funding commitment of the international partner.: written statement
- Project’s principle investigator must be a permanent member of a research unit of one the IDEX partners (e.g. a doctoral student could not submit his/her own project).
- Project’s principle investigator should not be a member of IDEX Research and Transfer Executive Commission or a member of the International Relationships Commission or member of the board of directors of a research department nor the IDEX steering board.
- The electronic submission file must be complete and comply with the mandatory structure given below before the deadline.
IDEX funding will not cover operational costs, equipment or mission expenses.
Applications should be submitted on the platform: http://projects-call.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
The following document must be provided:
- Short bio of the project investigator (1 page),
- Short bio of the international co-project investigator (1 page),
- Executive summary (1 page),
- Project description (5 pages),
- Project description of the PhD or the post-doc. program for the whole period.
- Partner's financial commitment letter/attestation.
- Notice of submission
- Call for Proposal: x xth 2018
- Submission deadline: December 10th, 13h00
- Meeting of the Selection Committee: March 2019
- Notification: April 2019
- Starting of the Ph.D. (or Post-doc) projects: December 2019 at the latest
 Chemistry, Biology, Health
 Maths, Information Science and Technology
 Particle physics, astrophysics, geosciences, environment, ecology
 Physics, Ingineering, Materials
 Social Sciences
 Humanities and Social Sciences